Monday 22 August 2016

Honouring Wedding Traditions

Receiving line, first dance, bouquet toss, garter toss... the list goes on with these age old wedding reception traditions. Which ones do you choose to include in your big day? How do you justify eliminating something to those who have certain expectations?

Having been to several weddings, I felt I had a pretty good idea of what the typical wedding reception entails. Although I haven't necessarily been planning my wedding since childhood, attending weddings has helped me to better shape my thoughts and ideas regarding my own. I started planning my wedding by process of elimination. I knew exactly what I didn't want, and from there I was able to determine what I wanted.

Along the way, close friends and family members have repeatedly asked how the planning is going. Everyone I have talked to regarding planning seems to have formed an opinion on at least one aspect of the wedding reception. Being constantly bombarded by both questions and opinions can be both exhausting and frustrating. Regardless of these conversations, my fiance and I have stuck firm to our original plan. Footing most of the bill has definitely helped our case!

One wedding reception tradition that we are doing away with is the receiving line. I've been to weddings both with and without, and I don't think eliminating it will detract from our day. With an attendance of 150 people, we thought it would be too time consuming to try having a forced conversation with each of our guests. We decided we would rather walk around together and mingle informally throughout the evening rather than forcing our guests to stand in a line to have a word with us. (Especially when they are probably hungry, thirsty, and ready to sit down and rest their feet!)

The beautiful thing about your own wedding is that you can truly MAKE it your own. There is no rule saying you have to honour every wedding tradition. (Regardless of what anyone says!) Many people who attend a wedding have certain expectations; but ultimately, it's up to the bride and groom to decide what they want to include in their special celebration. ~♡~

No comments:

Post a Comment