Monday 29 August 2016

To Register or NOT to Register

Long gone are the days when brides registered for not one, but two sets of china. (One for everyday, and one for company!) Not as many couples are chosing to register for tangible gifts. More engaged couples are already living together, and thus do not have a need for traditional registry items like dishes, cutlery, linens etc. My fiancé and I were really back and forth on whether we wanted to set up a registry.

Being a previous condo owner, I had almost everything we needed to set up our new home together. When we first got engaged, the idea of registering seemed silly to me. I've given cash as a gift at nearly every wedding I've been to, and the thought of receiving cash and being able to spend it on anything really appealed to me.

A few months into our engagement, we started looking for an apartment. With the big move ahead, I started thinking more seriously about my furnishings and belongings. I came to realize that most of it was either my parents's old stuff, or low quality items I had purchased to get me through university. How nice would it be to have a mini refresh? That's when I started to consider registering!

My fiancé and I knew we would be able to save the majority of the money we would need to pay for the wedding. We both committed to making some financial sacrifices in order to allocate most of our earnings towards the wedding fund. Neither of us were comfortable with accumulating debt to pay for the big day. (Many couples do, and use the monetary gifts they receive to pay off their wedding debts.) With that in perspective, we realized the gifts we would receive on our wedding day would just be a bonus. It's not like we would actually NEED the money to pay off our wedding expenses... so why NOT register!?

Personally, I've always preferred giving and receiving tangible gifts instead of money or gift cards. A lot of people share this sentiment. Setting up a registry gives your guests the choice of purchasing a gift they know you will like. The reality is, you will definitely have guests who will bring gifts to either the wedding or the bridal shower. Without a registry, you may receive items you don't need, want, or like. With a registry, although you know what you're getting ahead of time, you will still have the exciting experience of opening gifts together. You will keep your gifts and the memory of the guests who gifted them to you for a lifetime. ~♡~

No comments:

Post a Comment